A Syrious Look - A Magazine about Culture in Exile
In late November 2016, we - the Syrian-Palestine poet and screenwriter Mohammad Abou Laban, the Syrian theatre director Ziad Adwan, and the German publisher Mario Münster - released „A Syrious Look“ - the first magazine about Syrian Culture in Exile; made in Berlin by an international team. We take the proceeds from the magazine sales to support cultural initiatives in Syria. Right now we collaborate with Al Caravan, a group that released a kids book that was made in Syria.
Publishing „A Syrious Look“ immediately led to a huge international media interest: From Le Figaro and Süddeutsche Zeitung to Wiener Zeitung, Der Tagesspiegel and Al Arabya, from Swiss National Radio to NPR Radio.
Here you can listen to a radio interview we did on Deutschlandradio Kultur to learn more about us.
An international readership ordered the magazine to Paris, Amsterdam, New York, and all over Germany. In stores it was displayed in the middle of established publications. People started approaching us for collaborations and ideas about Syrian culture in exile. Teachers started using the magazine in class. Apparently, we filled an empty spot in the cultural and media scene: Authentic, contemporary stories about exile. Curious? Here you can read a story from inside our magazine about The Syrian Dreams project by Mey Seifan.
Now we want to move on!
Given all that, we suddenly were overwhelmed with new tasks:
1. Exiled Journalists approach us and ask if they can contribute to our magazine
2. People contact us to suggest artists and writers for there own cultural projects
3. Cultural initiatives ask for support and consulting
4. Organizations invite us to give lectures
5. People ask us to publish new content online
This is what we do with your donation:
As wonderful as all the lovely feedback is: "A Syrious Look" is not able to survive without financial support. Since we use the money from the magazine sales as contributions to other initiatives, we need money to continue our work. Your financial support will help us to:
1. Finance the printing of future magazine issues.
2. Pay contributing writers and artists for their work (so far they all work for free).
3. Finance talk-events and exhibitions with exiled artists and cultural activists: Rent for event venues, event equipment, catering, printing.
4. Finance basic infrastructure costs like web hosting and some marketing.
The future is ours to shape - Join us!
We live in a historic moment. Every generation faces its challenge: rebuilding Germany after World War II was the duty of our grandparents, reuniting Germany after 1989 still defines our parents. Our generation has to write the next chapter for a more diverse Germany that prospers with its million new citizens, leaving a nation that is, once again, better off. And that is why it is important to act, to not just let history happen. To escape the pre-set paths, to talk and think together, to wave good-bye to old-fashioned thinking. This is why we created "A Syrious Look". Please, help us to move on. Every little donation is helpful.