What's got my attention this week
Want some ideas for things to read, watch and listen to this weekend? Look no further...
Patti Smith covering the December issue of US Harpers Bazaar at 76
Thanks for subscribing to The Shift. If you're already a paying member, thank you. You make this newsletter and The Shift podcast possible. If not, and you'd like to get this newsletter in your inbox every week, be part of The Shift community and help me make the podcast you love, why not join?
• Patti Smith on more than 50 years of creativity (Opens in a new window) and why she's not stopping now.
• I absolutely loved this piece by Terri White about "class passing" (Opens in a new window)ie pretending to be posher than you are, or toning yourself down, to catch a break at work. I can't tell you the number of work dos I went to where I had no idea which fork to use and had to dodge questions about my comprehensive school. That's the British media for you. (This piece was in The Times and the irony isn't lost on me that it's behind a paywall.)
• In defence of working out seasonally. (Opens in a new window)
• Merriam-webster's word of the year is gaslighting (Opens in a new window). I could have sworn we've been being gaslit since at least 2016...
• Middle aged woman in pursuit of sexual freedom? Stacey Duguid has your back on her Destination Unknown blog. (Opens in a new window)
• Moving house after 27 years: (Opens in a new window) how do you decide what to take and what to throw?