What's got my attention this week
Want some ideas for things to read, watch and listen to this weekend? Look no further...
Yes, I know I'm fixated on Michelle Yeoh, but this would be a massive achievement at any age
Thanks for subscribing to The Shift. If you're already a paying member, thank you. Your support makes this newsletter and The Shift podcast possible. Paying members get weekly newsletters and culture round-ups, access to the community and the full archive (plus there's more on the cards). All for less than the price of a (large) coffee a month. Also, I'll be putting the prices up in April so, if you're interested, upgrade to paid now.
• Michelle Yeoh's Best Actress nomination (Opens in a new window) for this year's Oscars made history; female directors were snubbed in the Best Director (Opens in a new window) category, despite star turns from Sarah Polley (Women Talking) and Gina Prince-Bythewood (The Woman King) amongst others; and the omission of actress Danielle Deadwyler, hotly tipped for her portrayal of Mamie Till-Mobley in Till, from the Best Actress category, led to accusations of misogynoir (Opens in a new window) from its director Chinonye Chukwu, who also missed out. Viola Davis, who was widely expected to be nominated for her role in The Woman King, was also omitted.
• Love this piece by Chitra Ramaswamy about trying (and failing) to beat her grief into submission with HIIT (Opens in a new window).
• When these women rejected diet culture (Opens in a new window)it was radical, thirty years on, everyone's intuitive eating.
• Why talking less benefits everyone. (Opens in a new window) (I can't help thinking there are some people who need to hear this more than others!)
• Interesting read by Poorna Bell on why Hollywood's sixtysomething success stories (Opens in a new window) are giving this 42-year-old hope.
• I'm not the only one who was livid about the government's response to the Menopause & Workplace report (Opens in a new window), Melissa Robertson was, too. Here's her piece for Campaign (Opens in a new window).
• Twentysomething TikTokers are obsessed with anti-ageing (Opens in a new window). Sob.