What's got my attention this week
Want some ideas for things to read, watch and listen to this weekend? Look no further...
Sharon White, CEO of John Lewis, has been named the most influential Black person in the UK, topping the 2023 Powerlist
Thanks for subscribing to The Shift. If you're already a paying member, thank you. You make this newsletter and The Shift podcast possible. If not, and you'd like to get this newsletter in your inbox every week, be part of The Shift community and help me make the podcast you love, why not join?
• At 55, John Lewis CEO Sharon White has topped the 2023 Powerlist (Opens in a new window), ahead of Idris Elba, Lenny Henry, Michaela Coehl, Stormzy and Marcus Rashford, amongst others. (She was previously the first woman and the first Black person to lead Ofcom.)
• Love this essay about why more female leaders (Opens in a new window) need to speak out about menopause. (And not just because it gives a very nice mention to The Shift podcast with Nicola Sturgeon (Opens in a new window).)
• An interesting piece by Monica Lewinsky on why the US midterm elections (Opens in a new window) matter.
• At what point in history did men decide women weren't funny (Opens in a new window)?!
• Gravestone recipes (Opens in a new window) are a thing and it's really touching.
• You're never too old for a mini skirt (Opens in a new window). If you needed telling.