Earning money with online media – does it have to be so difficult?
How can you earn money with your content?
Once it was through advertising, but ads turn your website into a wasteland. On top of that, ad revenue fluctuates drastically, and can suddenly dry up. It’s no way to work.
This is not how this works
Some creators put a neglected PayPal donation button on their website. But this hardly result in a liveable income.
How do the big ones do it?
Large corporate publishers protect their content behind paywalls. Paywalls aren’t a perfect, but they’re better than nothing, because most people won’t pay for something they can get for free. There’s quite some people who’d pocket a candy bar instead of buying one, if they could.
You’re probably thinking:
How do I get my readers or listeners to pay?
It seems many media makers on Steady already earn four-figure sums monthly. How do they do it? They’re often just one or two people.
I already have an endless to-do list.
Sometimes I don’t feel like posting or podcasting - it’s just so much work for so little recognition or money.
You’re not alone:
Advertising revenue creates false incentives. It’s optimized to pay for quick clicks, not meaningful engagement with readers.
Selling content via micropayments doesn’t work. Nobody can live from it.
You’re not an expert in marketing, software and accounting. Your strengths and talents lie elsewhere - and that’s a good thing.
The solution is memberships
Membership programs bring you sustainable and predictable revenue. Your readers, listeners or viewers pay regularly, and are usually very loyal. This is how you build a reliable and lasting business. Having regular members changes everything.
If you answer yes or even maybe, then it’s about time you launched a membership program.
Steady helps you set up a membership program
Memberships can create more work for you, but luckily Steady takes care of most of it.
What Steady does for you
Start selling memberships – with Steady
To build a good membership program, you normally need a software developer, marketing specialist, accountant and tax expert. Or you can just use Steady.Sign up for free
“Steady is extremely user-friendly, both for potential supporters and publishers themselves. On top of that, the level of personal support was fantastic.”
“I researched it for weeks and found Steady was the best solution... It feels that Steady just keeps growing, as there is always something happening, and faster all the time. That’s the Steady effect, I’d say.”
We built Steady because we needed it ourselves
Steady is a team of developers, designers, journalists and entrepreneurs in Berlin. We have a lot of collective experience in membership-financed media. We know how well memberships can function when they’re done right.
Other companies launched by Steady’s founders:
Steady’s team members previously founded Krautreporter, a member-financed online magazine in Germany. At Krautreporter, we didn’t only want our readers to pay regularly, we also wanted to make them members of the team by engaging with them and asking for suggestions. Readers could request stories into topics that matter to them. We learned a lot as we turned Krautreporter into a profitable business - all without selling a single ad. Everything we learned has now flowed into Steady.
Be live in 5 minutes – or customize everything as you like
No starting fees, no hidden costs.
It’s free to sign up Steady only earns money if you do
Frequently Asked Questions
- You regularly publish new content (in any medium and form, but preferably digitally).
- You already have an audience (it does not have to be big, but supportive). If you do not have an audience yet and do not know how to get one, Steady can’t help you right now.
- It also helps if you offer your members something in return. That could be exclusive content (Steady provides the necessary technology to protect your content). It can also be special behind-the-scenes access, like virtual hangouts with you and your supporters.
- Lastly, the most successful Steady content creators already have an e-mail mailing list of their audience and can email them about the Steady membership program. That’s how several Steady creators have already achieved four-digit monthly incomes in just a few days.
- If you only want to make one-time sales of individual items: Steady exclusively enables regular, ongoing “steady” payments - hence the name. Your members can of course cancel their regular payments at any time.
- Steady is not a donation platform. If you want to raise money for a good cause, without offering anything back, try platforms such as BetterPlace or GoFundMe.
- If you sell physical goods instead of digital content, and must manage an inventory, you should try Shopify or WooCommerce instead.